Monday, August 5, 2013

What's On My Kindle? - July 2013

What's Been on my Kindle? - July 2013
What's On My Kindle?

 Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery
Great story about Avonlea on Prince Edward Island. If you were ever a watcher of the show Avonlea on the Disney Channel back in the 90s then this is a great story for you. It is a return to Avonlea and it gives you the story from Anne's perspective. This is a follow up from the very famous "Anne of Green Gables" stories. The book is a group of stories so you can pick it up and put it back down and come back whenever you want.
A 3.5 snap award!

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
J.K. Rowling takes a chance on her first adult novel writing for what is definitely an adult audience only. The book is centered around the death of one character and how his passing and the resulting vacancy of his seat on the parish council creates a political frenzy in this small English town effecting villagers from the age of 3 to the age of 83. She once again displays an ease of writing from numerous characters perspectives that you easily find yourself lost in this little town. For a book that may take a few chapters to really commit to, once you are in, you can't put it down.
Seriously a page turner. 4.5 snaps for me!
 
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

This book was a serious page turner. Now I will admit I am a sucker for any and all 80s pop culture references and video game references, and fair warning, this is a Sci Fi book but this book was awesome. Honestly I did not want to stop reading this book and I powered through it in a matter of days. I don't remember the last book I was this completely engrossed in since Where'd You Go Bernadette? or the Harry Potter series.
Basically, Earth has become a really shitty place to live and almost everyone escapes their real lives to spend almost all their time in a virtual reality that is OASIS, a free virtual reality that has become one and the same with the internet. You can learn, play, shop and work all on OASIS and essentially get lost there. One of the creators has passed away and left an Easter egg hidden somewhere in the virtual world which you can only find after discovering and unlocking the 3 keys and 3 gates. He has created essentially a worldwide hunt. Discovering the egg while give the winner his fortune. The book follows the ensuing hunt.
If you want to try a different kind of Sci Fi or you just want to get lost in some awesome 80s references for a while, give it a try. 5 enthusiastic snaps from me!
 
Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns by Lauren Weisberger
It's nice to return to the world of designer fashion and I love the concept of a high fashion wedding magazine. Something that I would have loved to read regularly when planning my own wedding to be honest (The Knot is nice but it gets old really fast), but there is something that I inherently ended up not liking about Andy in this book. She finds herself in her own fairytale and oddly enough best friends with her former enemy Emily from her Runway days, but she cannot seem to let her fear of Miranda go and when the publishing company wants to purchase hers and Emily's little magazine and add it to their media portfolio alongside Runway, Andy can only see how it affects her and not everyone around her including her spouse who invested heavily in her company to begin with. I found myself not cheering for Andy like I did the first time around but this time for Miranda.
Sadly only 2 snaps...
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...