I went back on a foul ball over my head at first base and stepped into the mulch that lined the fence. As I turned back on the ball, my leg went two different directions and I popped my knee! After being cared for by some very nice paramedics, I was taken by ambulance to the hospital where x-rays were taken. At my followup appointment on Friday, I was sent for an MRI. The MRI came back Friday night to show that I had in fact torn my ACL and partially torn my medial meniscus.
So while it was a blessing in disguise that my mom was here to help me around, it was definitely a bummer on her vacation. Luckily I had treated us to mani pedis on Wednesday afternoon, before all this insanity began. She is a great sport and also a great chauffeur. Somehow she still came up with fun things we could do everyday and we were still able to celebrate in style.
Thursday and Friday we ran some errands and hung around. On Thursday night my mom cooked dinner and we just had a nice night in the three of us. On Friday night, we celebrated my birthday with all my friends. My mom's best friend from high school also drove down from NorCal for the day. Mom treated us to a great dinner at Ortega 120 and then we met everyone at Lucky Strike for some bowling. Even on crutches my mom found a way to get me bowling. She asked for a handicapped ramp at the bowling alley so I could still participate. It was so nice to hand with all my friends that my mom has gotten to know via visits and the wedding.
I was very lucky to get my diagnosis on Saturday morning, since Wednesday morning before the accident my mom and I had booked three tickets for a Segway tour around LA, which were of course non-refundable. The doctor gave me the all clear to participate as long as I wore my brace, because in his words, "You cant tear it more than you already have."
Honestly for those of you that have never Segwayed, it is so much fun. I know you look nerdy as hell, but honestly it is an amazing way to sight see. We covered approximately 12 miles in just 2 hours. Also zooming around on a Segway is way more fun than a walking tour!
We ended up with a private tour with an amazing tour guide Dara, who works at AnotherSideofLA Tours. Dan's cousin Jimmy and his girlfriend Anna joined us for the tour and afterward we hit the La Brea Tar Pits.
We wrapped up Saturday night with a big family birthday dinner at Monsieur Marcel at the Farmer's Market next to The Grove. We munched on cheese and croque monsieurs as well as baguette and red wine (well everyone else had red wine, I had Orangina since I was on Vicodin).
My mom said goodbye Sunday morning and then Dan and I headed to the beach for our flag football game. Again I just watched from my beach chair, but it was nice to get some rays.
So I am now in the process of looking for exercise routines that are mostly upper body based due to my limited lower body movement and busy planning my surgery date.














No comments :
Post a Comment