After four days of skiing, my mom returned with Dan and I last week to spend her February break with us both and my grandmother joined us Tuesday evening. It was a whirlwind week of sightseeing, family get togethers, and quality time together. Luckily I was able to take the week off after working late into the night, each day after skiing for a deadline.
On Tuesday, my mom and I headed up to the Hollycomb Trail to hike to the Hollywood sign. I had never done it so I figured this would be a great first experience for us both. The trail is really easy to get to, but parking can be really rough. Even in the morning in the middle of the week the trail is busy so keep that in mind. Luckily we found a spot pretty easily and were able to get our hike on quickly. The trail is pretty steep right at the start and end, but if you can get past the first few switchbacks it gets much easier.
After our hike we were off to lunch and shopping closer to home and then Tuesday night we walked to the Redondo Beach pier with Dan for dinner at Old Tony's. My mom and I then picked Meme up from the airport around 11pm.
 |
| Mom and I at the top of the Hollywood sign |
On Wednesday we had lunch with a friend of Meme's who was from her same small town in the Burgundy region of France. We met him at a cute French bistro in the Riviera Village and were regaled by all his stories of his youth. Quite the Casanova this 83 year old man, let me tell you.
After lunch we headed to visit my friend Heather and her new baby Mason. Meme had knit him a sweater and hat as a baby gift and Heather wanted to thank her personally. Mason also got the most amazing baby gift from me (a tiny Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle onesie with detachable shell cape)! AMAZING.
On Wednesday night we cooked at home and Meme made me soup. Lunch for days let me tell you.
Meme treated the four of us to a night on the ship and dinner at Sir Winston's on the ship. Dinner was amazing and the service was impeccable. They even brought Meme a Happy Anniversary Cake at desert to honor her return on board 61 years later.
 |
| Three generations of French women on the ship my grandmother immigrated to the US on. |
 |
The waiter at Sir Winston's brought Meme this Happy Anniversary cake
to commemorate her 61 years since sailing on the ship. |
Saturday morning we then took an audio tour of the boat and had breakfast on the Promenade Deck. Meme was so happy throughout the trip and as she later told me, she was thrilled to experience the trip with Dan and I. I still consider us the lucky ones here! It was great to hear all her stories about the ship and watch her experience it all once again. We even got a shot of her standing at the same railing she stood next to in 1953 as the ship pulled into New York Harbor on the way to Ellis Island.
No comments :
Post a Comment