Thursday, April 3, 2014

What's On My Kindle? - March Edition

What's Been on my Kindle? - March 2014

What's On My Kindle?


The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker
I read this in essentially a 24 hour period and have to say it was amazing! It is the story of a young girl coming into maturity as the worlds’ rotation has started to slow. The majority of her book is told over the course of her 6th grade year as what we know as days no longer exist and we reach periods of 42 hours of sunlight followed by 42 hours of darkness. The slowing as it comes to be known is a world epidemic that not even the wisest scientists can solve and tests how far humans can adapt to changing surroundings. Will humans die out as the dinosaurs did or are they more resilient? It is a fascinating read and so creative that I could not put it down. This book absolutely deserves your attention.

5 snaps for me!

Allegiant by Veronica Roth
The last of the Divergent novels, Allegiant is the story about what is happening beyond the fence closing in Chicago and if knowing the truth is always worth it. While I felt that Mockingjay of the Hunger Games  series was weaker than its previous two novels, I really felt that Allegiant kept the pace up well and kept me very engaged. It seemed very well thought out and focused.

4 snaps for me! Overall the series gets 4.5 snaps!

Divergent by Veronica Roth

I decided to give Divergent a try as I saw previews for the new movie come out. I had never really heard of it before, probably because it was a young adult series that is still pretty recent. I have to admit though I am really glad I dove in. I am a huge Hunger Games fan and had heard that Divergent is a similar plot line. Divergent takes place in what was once Chicago and is now a walled off city where humans are split into groups based on a certain personality ideal. It is said to be a solution for human’s greed and corruption if you work to cultivate one facet of human personality. At age 16, you are tested to see which faction you best belong in, but those that are Divergent show that they can belong to multiple factions. Divergence is considered dangerous and is therefore hidden. Tris, the leading lady of the story, is, you guessed it, divergent. The first book is really her discovery society as an adult as well as her quest to discover more about divergence. 5 snaps for me!

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

The second book in the Divergent series, Insurgent follows Tris and Three as well as a number of the friends as they fight for the truth behind divergence and why it is so dangerous. In this book you learn a lot more about the five factions and what each was entrusted with for the performance of society. It was an extremely solid follow up and kept me reading nonstop. I finished the first two books over 3 days. 4.5 snaps for me!

One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell
Before I purchased my Kindle, I had bought a lot of books in paperback or hardcover as well as downloaded some to my iBooks account on Apple. I realized that a number of these books had been neglected and so recently I have been trying to read a physical book when I know I am not traveling for a bit. One Fifth Avenue was written by Candace Bushnell, the author of Sex and the City and has a similar vibe to the story of Carrie. What I like about One Fifth so much is that it follows the story lines of 7 different families, all but two live in the building, and how their lives intersect. A number of supporting players come in and out of the tale to support their leads lives, but there is no particular lead. One Fifth Avenue is located downtown in the trendy Village and is home to a number of artistic types. There is the writer, the actress, the gossip columnist, the magazine exec and her writer husband, the society ladies, the social climbers and the hedge fund  new money folks. What results is a clashing of worlds where friendships are born, mysteries are uncovered and feuds live on.

3.5 snaps for me!

Tangalang: Your 20s Focused Through a Lens of Erratic Rationality by Gerald Tang
So my friend Gerald wrote a book. I followed his blog for years and when he informed us all that he was going to take the blog to book form and self publish, I have to admit I was pretty stoked. Gerald is the type of writer that is both highly intelligent and so off the wall at the same time. He brings so much humor and sarcasm to his writing without ever dumbing it down. It is important to know that he is highly sarcastic in his book but it is exciting just to see how his mind is working. He sometimes comes off as a sexist pig but you can’t deny you weren’t thinking the same thing sometimes.

3 snaps for me!

The Widow's Guide to Sex and Dating by Carole Radziwill
The second book and first novel of Carol Radziwill, The Widows Guide to Sex and Dating is the story of Claire following the untimely and tragic death of her husband Charlie after a bronze statue falls on his head walking down the street. Carol’s macabre humor is what makes this book enjoyable and fun to read. The story is outlandish and hilarious and grabs your attention early. Claire’s husband was an expert in sex and now his widowed wife is rediscovering the dating scene and branching out into new territories. Definitely add this to your beach read list this summer!
4 snaps for me!

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
Jhumpa Lahiri is one of my all time favorite writers, up there with F.Scott himself. I love her style of creating a book out of short stories or in most cases novellas. Her stories are rich and engrossing and engage you right of the bat. With her followup book Unaccustomed Earth, Lahiri continues her novella style of writing and takes us all over the world with eight different stories. Lahiri is a master of the novella and draws you in to each story that you are sad to see the characters go at the end.
5 snaps for me!

2 comments :

  1. Awesome post!! I'm a huge bookworm so I LOVE seeing what other people are reading!!

    Jessie at BlushandBlonde.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome titles, Elisabeth! Seeing as how much you like the dystopian genre, I highly recommend Marie Lu's Legend if you haven't downloaded the ebook yet. It's not as mysterious as Divergent, but the characters are well-developed as well. Hahaha! Happy reading! :)

    Erick Brooks @ Ripple Web

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...