Thursday, October 9, 2014

What to Wear: Career Fair

What To Wear: Career Fair


In the Fall career fairs seem to be very prevalent on the college campus scene. I recall attending a number of fairs each Fall with the big one being the SWE Career Fair at National Conference at the end of October each year.

The thing with career fairs that is important to remember is that they are not like regular interviews where you get dressed for that particular company that day but a marathon day of multiple companies and lots and lots of walking.

Every year I see some serious fashion mistakes made at these events where I am recruiting for my company. Too tight or too short skirts, sky high heels so that by 2pm you are limping around the floor, too small of a bag, too many bags, overdone makeup or none at all.

To conquer the career fair properly, here are a few tips I have learned over the years:
1. Wear appropriate footwear. You will be on your feet all day with only lunch and the occasional on-site interview to sit down. Kitten heels are my go to if you can wear them, but I recommend packing flats in your bag for later.

2. Wear pants. There is nothing worse than pulling your skirt down all day to remain appropriate. Just wear pants. Ankle length is fine, but pants give you freedom to move without concern of your bag pulling up your skirt and when you sit down to lunch you are not flashing a potential employer.

3. Bring one large tote bag. Make your purse that day a nice structured tote bag (leather if you have it). The open design allows you to access your resumes and portfolio easily and the long handles let you carry it on your shoulder. The size also allows you to add swag to your bag without adding multiple bags to tote around. I also recommend having a water bottle in there and your lipstick or gloss for touchups.

4. Go with a suit and shell on top. It can be warm and it can be cold in the conference centers. A suit is professional and easy, but bring a scarf and wear a shell underneath for varying temperatures. Since you will be walking a shell is professional with your suit jacket on but keeps you cooler than long sleeves. A scarf is also great in case the AC is on blast.

5. Simple jewelry. Simple studs, watch and necklace or ring. You want the interviewer to remember you, not be distracted by your jewels.

6. Simple makeup. Clean face makeup is the way to go. No heavy eyeliner or bronzer. Bring your lipstick in your bag though to touch up throughout the day. You want the company you visit at 4pm to get the same you as the 9am company got.

7. Easy hairstyle. Go with something that you wont fuss with all day. Hair down, half up or a ponytail are all great options.

8. Be yourself!

2 comments :

  1. Love this post! I'm an accounting student going through the recruiting process, so this is super helpful. Do you have any brand recommendations for shoes? I've had a terrible time finding comfortable ones, even at higher price points. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelbi
      I have found my favorites to be from J.Crew and Sam Edelman for flats.
      For heels the Ivanka Trump kitten heels cannot be beat. They are called the Indico pumps

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...