Saturday, March 7, 2015
10 Tips for Working From Home
We all want to find ways to be more productive at home. I have the great fortune of being able to have a flexible work schedule where I can work from home on Friday mornings after putting in longer hours Monday through Thursday at the office. I have tried a number of configurations and I believe have found some helpful tips and tricks to be my most productive self on Fridays.
1. Schedule Your Tasks To Your Environment - Friday mornings are my time to do charts and data updates. I try to knock out everything that needs to be done on my two screens when I am in the office and save Friday for updating charts, which are easiest to be productive with when you don't have anyone to distract you.
2. Have a Designated Workspace - I use my desk on Fridays and have a TV table that I can set up next to my desk for an additional work surface. Giving myself the routine of setting up the same way each week also keeps me focused.
3. Keep Neat. Try not to spread out all over the house just because you are home and comfortable. Keep your work space and your work materials controlled and in their proper place and put everything away when you are done for the day. It's great to be able to work from home, but I put my things away when I am done to make sure I am keeping to my hours and not giving away my free time either.
4. Take Breaks Just Like At The Office. Get up and walk around. Stretch get water. It's easy to get zoned in at home just like at work. Remember to take micro breaks.
5. Stay Flexible. If work needs to flex your time a little bit, be accommodating where you can. I usually do 8-12 on Fridays but have flexed to 10-2 or 12-4 even if that is what is best for my company that week.
6. Get Dressed. Don't work from home in your PJs. Just don't. Getting dressed will help get you in the mindset for work.
7. Get Outside. Get some sunlight. We all need vitamin D daily. So get outside for 10-15 minutes.
8. Keep A To-Do List. I live and die by my work planner which keeps my to-do list daily. I plan for Friday all week and then make sure I knock out my list.
9. Have Something to Munch On. Just like at the office, snacks are a must. Make sure you have healthy options stocked at home so you don't need to constantly be running out. I have breakfast and snacks at the ready every Friday and I know a PB sandwich is just a few minutes away.
10. Stay Connected. Check in with work throughout the day to see if anything is changing that needs your attention. Then you know quickly if you need to reprioritize your day or can keep chugging along on your to-do list.
Labels:
lifestyle
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
No comments :
Post a Comment