Tuesday, December 9, 2014

#10ThingsILove During the Holidays

My favorite list to share each quarter. Today is a very special holiday edition. Therefore without further ado, my current #10ThingsILove.


via Starbucks
10. Red Cups at Starbucks
I love a good holiday drink, who doesn't? I also find that the Brulee Latte at Starbucks is even better than the PSL and their hot chocolate can perk up any day!

 9. Christmas Lights
Christmas decorations just make me happy. But there is something about driving home at the end of the day to tons of twinkling lights guiding your route. The first thing I do when I get home everyday is turn on the lights on the tree and stairwell garland.
When we were kids, my sister and I used to play the Christmas Light game on the way to our house upstate. We would each get a side of the car to count all the decorated  houses we saw on our 3 hour drive. Maybe that is where my obsession started.
8. Rain and Snow
It doesn't feel like Christmas without some snow (or at least in LA, a few rainy days). The colder temps and wet weather just feels like the holiday season to me.

via StudyUSA
7. Shopping for Friends and Family
I love giving gifts to my loved ones. I send gifts all over the country to both friends and family and pride myself on finding the perfect gift. Also shopping during the holidays is just so great with all the decorations. This year I had to get my shopping done extra early since we are so busy each weekend, so I was glad decorations were up a little early. I know I may be the only one.

via Esquire
6. Christmas Music
Christmas Music plays in my office all day long starting around Thanksgiving and I'll be honest, it makes the day fly by. It keeps me focused and engaged with a big smile on my face. If my door is shut, I may sing along a little bit too.

5. Decorating the Tree
In my family we always made a big night out of decorating the tree. Dan and I decorated last week while we watched The Santa Clause and Santa Claus is Coming to Town. It is fun to recount all the memories on your tree as you decorate. When we travel we collect at least one ornament from everywhere we have been. I also have my ornaments that I have been collecting since I was a kid so our tree is pretty full, but each ornament means something different.
One of my favorites is my Sugar Plum Fairy from the New York City Ballet's Nutcracker that I got when I was maybe 5. The paint is chipping and her wooden body is more delicate than ever, but I get a rush of joy each time I hang her on the tree.

4. Holiday Parties
I love all the holiday parties around this time of year. From our annual breakfast at work, to our Ugly Sweater Party and Elephant Gift Exchange with friends, to the Santa Monica Pub Crawl, it always seems like we have something to do day in and day out. It's so hard to pick and choose what to attend sometimes!
3. New York, New York
We spend Christmas with my family in NY each year and I love getting home to see the city all decked out for Christmas. We usually try to take in a holiday show and dinner at Rockefeller Center under the tree while we are home, in addition to all our family activities. It reminds me of growing up in the city. And I love getting to see the holiday windows each year.

2. Wrapping Gifts
I know I am weird, but I LOVE wrapping presents. I love making the presentation just perfect. Don't believe me, I have a post just about wrapping gifts on the schedule for next week with my rules for wrapping with ease.
1. Family Time
The holidays to me are most importantly about family (and the friends who are family). We have a number of family traditions that we honor each year, and they are things I look forward to annually. We celebrate with Dan's family the weekend before each year and this year we are headed to Big Bear to celebrate for what will hopefully become a tradition like the many my family has.
For Christmas Eve, I have an annual brunch with my two best friends from high school that we have been doing since freshman year of college, dinner and gifts at my grandma's house with my family and my uncle's family, and then we drive upstate early Christmas morning (like midnight) to make sure we wake up to open gifts at the house in the woods. I am really looking forward to all the time with my family this year! I haven't seen most of my family since September!

So that's my #10ThingsILove Holiday List, what would make yours?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...