What's Been on my Kindle? - December 2014
My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me by Kate Bernheimer
This is a compilation of modern fairytales. Some are inspired by the classics, others from the imaginations of contemporary writers. Many of these are darker in nature, much like the Brothers Grimm and each ends with a write up of where and how the story was inspired. A fun read for the adult who grew up on fairytales.
4 snaps.
Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris
This was honestly such a fun book and such a breeze to read. I jumped around and learned so much about NPH while giggling the whole time through. I loved Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid so this took me right back to that place. Also the style works really well with the autobiography format. Much better actually than I had anticipated. I feel like I will return to this book another time to see if there was anything I missed the first two times around.
5 big snaps!
Paper Towns by John Green
I thoroughly enjoyed Paper Towns. Like Quentin, the main character, I was fully engrossed in finding Margo and discovering what drove her to run away. John Green does a great job of forcing his leading characters and his readers to forget about figuring out Margo's deal and instead think about reflecting more on themselves as people. We like to look at others as mirrors (what we see in them) rather than the windows they really are. 4.5 snaps for me!
This One is Mine by Maria Semple
This One is Mine is Maria Semple's first novel. I decided to read it after loving Where'd You Go Bernadette? and I was not disappointed. The book tells the story of a LA houswife who lost her identity over the years after leaving the workplace to become a stay at home mom. Through a number of questionable decisions she and her husband find themselves on the brink of divorce. This One is Mine takes a really human look at adult relationships and the pressures that come with marriage after many years. It also is a great representation on how relationships intersect with everyone around you. A great read and truly a set of characters you can root for.
5 snaps for me!
No comments :
Post a Comment