Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Blazer Obsession

I have a serious blazer obsession. I rock them almost on a daily basis. You may call them my work uniform, but since I work as a engineer, it is important to have an item that can dress up your look but is also removable if you have to get your hands dirty.

Recently I have started working off site at a supplier spending my day between my office and the shop floor. I need to be able to present an authoritative and professional appearance in my meetings, but also be approachable when I head to the floor to work with the technicians. As a result I have fallen back on my standard uniform of black dress pants or dark wash trouser jeans, a blouse or sweater and one of my many blazers.

Blazers are also a great way to put a personal stamp on an otherwise standard cookie-cutter look. I have a wide range of styles and colors in blazers, much like people who have a variety of cardigans. They let me exude some personality while still staying professional and focused.

My last reason that I adore blazers is that I live in Southern California and it rarely gets cold enough for an actual fall or winter coat. As a result I rely on blazers to double as a jacket against the SoCal winters of 50 to 60 degrees.

Here are some of my current blazer obsessions.

What I'm Loving


1. The JCrew Schoolboy blazer in grape ($120) is one of my favorite blazers these days. The wool weight is finally not too hot in LA. Also the color paired with the gold buttons is beautiful and rich looking. I like rolling up the sleeves on this piece too. The lining is another great preppy feature (pinstriped).
2. This tuxedo jacket from Mango is amazing ($115). I love the white with the black detailing. It automatically ups the luxe factor and it has a nice sheen making it a great piece for cocktails, parties, etc.
3. This Topshop jacket ($130) is a great standard black blazer. I personally have my Calvin Klein piece that I use when I need a good neutral black choice but I love the dusty rose lining on the Topshop option and this one is very similar to the style i already use regularly. A black blazer is great because it can go from day to night and be easily paired with black slacks or pencil skirt for a quick suiting look.
4. This is another one of my favorite J.Crew wool blazers ($209). I have an older model with grey piping instead of white, but it is a great classic preppy topper. Love navy for a blazer and the wool weight is great for the colder fall months.
5. This is a piece I found at H&M that has an unbeatable price ($40). The style is also a little funkier than a traditional blazer, but the tweed fabric keeps it in the professional range. This would be fun with jeans, pants, crops or a great pencil skirt.
6. I'm obsessed with this 3.1 Phillip Lim Navy asymmetrical blazer. I adore the feminine cut and on sale for $197 its a great price for such a luxe piece. I am hoping beyond hope I am able to find this somewhere because it seems to have sold out almost everywhere.
7. This grey jade blazer from Monki is so cool I had to include it. The draping is really flattering and the zipper on the shoulder is a cool twist. This color is also a great neutral and for $59 its a great price for a different kind of piece.
8. This Helmut Lang blazer with leather detailing is a dream luxe piece at $545 but its structure is beautiful and would last a lifetime. The leather edging is a nice touch on a very feminine cut.
9. This gold sequin blazer is also a dream luxe piece by Alice and Olivia. I have a very similar style from INC that I got for a tenth of the price of this piece but its a few seasons old. If you are looking for a gold sequin blazer look for something that is more boxy and short rather than a traditional blazer shape. It's more versatile and younger looking. I would not spend too much on this type of jacket though since its a piece you will only wear on rare occasions.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...