So I have been subscribing to Birchbox for the last five months and recently decide to try Ipsy's Glambag and compare the two subscription services. Both services cost $10/month and are full of great beauty products, but that is where the majority of their similarities end.
Birchbox sends you a variety of products and has 3-4 standard boxes each month. You will receive just one of the four and usually it is filled with 4-6 products. Birchbox sends beauty products that range from moisturizers to stretch mark cream to body scrubs to makeup to health food samples. They take an approach to the complete beauty package and end up introducing you to great new brands. You are able to review the products you receive each month and can often earn rewards points with reviews and purchases of full size products. For every 100 rewards points you earn, you get $10 to spend on any of their full size products that run the gamut. The only drawback I find with Birchbox is that you cannot select your sample type preferences or have sample profile customized to your skin tone, hair color, etc. Still, because of Birchbox, I have discovered patterned zip lock bags for travel, a great body scrub from Dirt, a kick ass hot pink lip gloss from Jouer, and the best dry shampoo powder from Lulu Organics (this may be the best find ever and it smells like lavender!).
 |
| Super cute Birchbox packaging for December. |
So what did I get in my December Birchbox? This month I got some CC Cream from Juice Beauty, Juicy Couture Perfume from Juicy Couture, Advanced Volume Shampoo from Nick Chavez Beverly Hills, Hot Mama blush from theBalm cosmetics, a $50 gift card to Rent the Runway, and Maple Bacon Milk Chocolate from Chuao Chocolatier.
 |
| My December Birchbox. |
The Juice Beauty CC Cream is really nice. It is all organic and also has an SPF 30 so its a great sunblock as well as base moisturizer. The sample size is 0.17oz so good for 1-2 uses, but this is the first CC or BB cream I've tried and its nice to get to test the product out before investing in one.
 |
| CC Cream packaging. |
I don't love the amount of perfume samples Birchbox sends because I am very attached to my Chanel Chance perfume, but it nice to have if I feel like mixing it up. I've got Kate Spade Twirl in November and I am looking forward to trying it out. The Juicy sample is 0.05 oz and should last you longer than you expect. The scent is nice and light but not too fruity which I like.
 |
| Juicy Couture Perfume Spray. |
I am really excited about the Nick Chavez Voluminous Shampoo. Its a 2oz sample so its great for traveling and it smells amazing. I am already planning on taking this with me to New York for Christmas. I will also say that Birchbox has sent some great haircare samples and I really look forward to them.
 |
| This is a great sample size. I really like the hair care samples from Birchbox |
The next sample in the box that I am especially excited about is theBalm Hot Mama blush that ca also double as eyeshadow. The sample is 1.0oz and is another great product to travel with. I have started to find that my Birchbox samples are great when I am trying to travel light. theBalm products remind me a lot of Benefit cosmetics (and both are San Francisco based) and the Hot Mama sample can double as an eyeshadow as well as a blush.


The last two products in my box are a $50 Rent the Runway gift card that is good through the end of February 2013 and the Maple Bacon Milk Chocolate Bar, that I ate before I could take a picture. I was really excited about both of these deals. I am stoked to try Rent the Runway for our dating anniversary this February since a number of my friends are huge fans. I also have to say that I was already a fan of Bacon Chocolate and this one was no exception. What is more appealing about this products chocolate is that Birchbox carries a variety pack with 7 different chocolate mixes (unfortunately you can only get on the wait list right now).
 |
| Thanks Rent the Runway! |
All in all I was really happy with my Birchbox this month and I have been the past few months. I enjoy getting to try such a wide range of products.
Now to compare my Ipsy Glambag. When you join Ipsy you fill out a very complete survey about yourself and your beauty preferences. You also give information on your skin tone, hair care, coloring, etc. which help to customize which products you receive each month. The biggest difference between Ipsy and Birchbox though is that Ipsy focuses on makeup products only. I have also noticed that their samples seem on the larger end in terms of Birchbox makeup samples vs Glambag makeup samples. Finally the last difference I've noticed is the packaging. Ipsy Glambags come in reusable makeup bags while Birchbox comes in a strong cardboard box. I actually think I prefer the boxes first because I have used them as drawer organizers, while I only foresee myself using the glambag bags for gift packaging (which is still useful). Ipsy's website I also find is less user friendly than birchbox, but there is lots of fellow subscriber advice on how to use the products each month, which is a cool feature.
 |
| This nice satin grey bag would be great to package a gift. |
So what came in my Ipsy Glambag December bag? Nyx Ultra Pearl Mania Loose Eyeshadow in Pearl, Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Black, Be a Bombshell Lip Gloss in Hot Mess, Mirabella Prime for Face and Eyes, and Mai Couture Highlighter Papers. It also game with $20 off at an online company like ShoeMint where you could essentially get half off one product (all products were $39.95) but this often requires a subscription.
 |
| My December Glambag. |
I am really excited to try this Nyx loose eyeshadow in this shimmery pink color. I plan to break it out for NYE this holiday season. I may need to get a lesson from a fellow Glambag subscriber on the Ipsy website though. The sample is 0.06oz but seems to be the standard full size they sell. I am pretty sure this will last me quite a while.
 |
| Nyx Loose Eyeshadow in Pearl |
I love a good eye pencil, but right now I am very attached to the Stila liquid eyeliner pen. Still I like Urban Decay's products and it is a nice compact size. The sample is 0.03oz and is a smaller size than their standard pencil but still quite large and very easy and comfortable to handle.
 |
| Great travel size but not too small to fit nicely in your hand! |
I love red lip gloss and lipstick and I cannot wait to try this Be a Bombshell Lip Gloss in Hot Mess. This is another full size product at 0.11oz and is a great red color. The lip gloss itself is also very easy to apply and is not sticky like a lot of lip glosses on the market. Still, it has good adhesion and you don't feel like you will have to reapply all night.
 |
| Love a good red lip gloss. It is my go to color to make me feel dressed up. |
The Mirabella primer is a clear face and eye primer that glides on very smooth but but feels a little slippery after application. Since it is a large sized tube at 0.45oz, I will continue to give it a chance, but I am hesitant at first application. I prefer Benefit's Porefessional since it doesn't leave you with a greasy feeling.
The last product in my December Glambag is the Mai Couture Highlighter Papers. I am really excited to try this. It is a full size product with 20-25 sheets and has instructions on the back cover about how and where to apply with papers. They are like oil blotting sheets that give you a great sun kissed glow. These are great to throw in your purse for quick touch ups on the go!
 |
| Feel very luxe using these! |
Overall I am very satisfied with my first Glambag and will continue to subscribe and see what other great products I can try out. But if I had to pick one, I still think I would remain loyal to Birchbox. Still, only time will tell.
No comments :
Post a Comment