Last Saturday I participated in my first race outside my area, the Lululemon Seawheeze Half Marathon in Vancouver, British Columbia. My husband, Dan, and mother-in-law, Peggy, made the trip along with me to be my cheering section and I could not have been more appreciative. Considering this race was only about 100 days after my second knee surgery (I had booked everything including flights, weeks before I found out I was going back under the knife), I knew from the start that I would be race walking instead of running. Still 13.1 miles or 20.1 km at an average speed of 15 min/miles is a lot on a knee still rehabbing.
 |
| Ready to go race morning |
I arrived in Vancouver early Friday morning and headed straight to the convention center to hit the Seawheeze Showcase Store and to pick up my race packet. What was shocking was that by the time I got to the store (just 3 hours after it opened) there was almost nothing left. While there were tons of cute patterns, Lulu way under ordered for size 10 and 12, and therefore we were left with very few options. A few of us hung out around the racks waiting for any items to come back from the fitting room. That was the only way I was able to sang a few pieces.
 |
| My haul from the Seawheeze store |
My fans arrived that evening and met me at our hotel. Since Dan had a fantasy football draft, mom and I headed out for dinner and some explorations. We made it an early night though since we would be up early the next morning.
Saturday morning we were off around 6am and arrived with plenty of time for me to get into my corral. The race started at 7am, but they staged the corrals so I didn't cross the start line until 7:30. This was definitely the latest race I have ever participated in and I have to admit it would be nicer if it started an hour earlier. It was warm in Vancouver on Saturday, upwards of 80 degrees, so an extra hour before the sun was up would have made a huge difference.
 |
| Waiting for the start |
 |
| Ready to pound the pavement |
The race was beautiful since most of it was along the water and Lulu made sure to have entertainment and fans lined up along the course cheering you. Hands down, my favorite were the drag queens who you saw at kilometer 7 and again at kilometer 12. Those ladies were the perfect boost along the way.
I am happy to report that I was able to finish the race keeping a 15 min/mile average pace. I was starting to limp around kilometer 16 and was pretty much dragging myself across the finish line, but it was worth it. After a quick check up at the medical tent, it was determined that I strained my ACL but didn't damage it, so RICE (Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate) is still in order.
 |
| Dan snapping pics from afar. |
 |
| RICE post race |
After the race, we headed back for a rest and change and then were back on the town for drinks in Gastown and dinner off Granville. The next morning, we headed to Yaletown for brunch, which was to die for, and then grabbed the shuttle bus to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. A definite tourist spot, the bridge was really cool and it was nice to escape into the woods while still being in Vancouver. We were then off to the airport and home.
 |
| Dan and I at brunch in Yaletown |
 |
| Totem poll mother and daughter |
 |
| Dan and I on the Treetop Walk |
 |
| Capilano Suspension Bridge |
It had been on my bucket list for a while to compete in a race outside SoCal, so I was pretty excited to cross that goal off my list. The race was really fun and the weekend was great. I don't know if I would return again for another go, as the course seems pretty standard, but I am really glad I can say I did it once! Check out my
Instagram to see more photos from the weekend!
No comments :
Post a Comment