Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Dinner - All About the Bird or the Sides?

With Thanksgiving dinner less than 24 hours away, I am sure many of us are scrambling through the grocery store and our kitchens, whipping up not only the delicious bird that is the center of our meal, but the many sides that accompany it. Of course Thanksgiving Day is like no other and we always seem to have more side dishes than are necessary, but what guest shows up empty handed?



So that begs the question, what are you all making for Thanksgiving Dinner? Personally, I am in the midst of putting together two of my favorite sides: Mac and Cheese and Green Salad. The Mac and Cheese is a great recipe I found from Lauren's Latest online. It is not just any ordinary Mac and Cheese,  but Jalapeno Popper Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese with 4 kinds of cheese, bacon, jalapenos and breadcrumbs. You can also add chicken to the dish for a heartier meal, but for Thanksgiving it isn't necessary.  I made this dish for Valentine's Day last year for my hubby and it went over like bananas. The great thing about this recipe is that it is so flexible. Every time I make it I seem to change up the different cheeses I use. In the past I have used Gorgonzola instead of blue cheese, used different kinds of cheddar cheese, or in this month's case, using pepper jack instead of provolone. If you want to try your hand at it and I suggest you do, you can find the recipe here.


In addition to the bomb dot com mac and cheese, I am putting together one of my family's favorites. A clean green salad with a Dijon mustard vinaigrette, salt, lardon (which is slab bacon), and goat cheese croutons. To make the croutons, bake slices of baguette in the oven with olive oil on top. This side is so refreshing and light. You can't do anything but feel satisfied after sides like these.


What are you bringing to dinner??

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...