For the past 2 days my husband and I have both been feeling under the weather, which does not make for a very exciting Halloween in many people's minds. Still my husband, in an effort to perk me up, suggested we turn all the lights off, make some popcorn and watch a movie.
Now, anyone that knows me, is well aware of the fact that I HATE scary movies. Dan, my husband, forced me to watch Paranormal Activity on a date early on in our relationship, and honestly I can't believe we survived that showing. The only scary/suspense movies I have come to love are those by Alfred Hitchcock (and for some reason the Scream series).
As a compromise to his movie idea, I countered with introducing him to Alfred Hitchcock's "Rear Window." Now let me say, I know the movie is outdated in its special effects, which were only highlighted further by our blue-ray player, but I still love this movie and my heart skips a beat when I think Grace Kelly may die. Alfred Hitchcock was a master of his craft and revolutionized the suspense genre. While his movies may be tamer than today's horror standards, I think they still provide the viewer with a great who-dunnit storyline.
But back to Rear Window and its female lead, Grace Kelly, for whom this post is about. Grace Kelly was no where near as famous as she would go on to become when she was cast for Rear Window. In fact, she had only appeared in 4 other pictures, but soon was a recurring female lead for Alfred Hitchcock. She just exuded grace and elegance on screen. When I commented on how beautiful and elegant she was during the movie, my husband had to agree. She was the female lead that women wanted to and still want to be, and men adored. And more importantly perhaps, her costume wardrobe throughout Hitchcock's films are still desired by women today.
Ever time I watch her in a Hitchcock film, I always end up googling her dresses to see if there is a pattern somewhere for it. Instead in an effort to emulate her looks for today, I share with you my two favorite looks from Rear Window and how to translate them to today.
The first look is the Paris Dress from Edith Head. It is the dress in which we are introduced to Kelly in the film. With tulle skirts being popular in recent seasons, it is possible to recreate this look for a number of budgets.
The second look is Kelly's outfit at the end of the film. It is one of the few times we see her so casually dressed, but still she exudes elegance, even in boyfriend jeans and a menswear top. This look is probably very easy to recreate out of items you already own with just a few updates or purchases.
What is your favorite Grace Kelly moment on screen?
No comments :
Post a Comment