Thanksgiving Day is just a week away and if you are like me, it has snuck up on you. You are probably starting to get excited thinking about all your favorite foods you are going to eat and celebrating your family traditions (the NFL, touch football, poker, you name it).
Thanksgiving for me is also the start of the Christmas season. It's like your first of your holiday get togethers and its a great way to get the Christmas season started off on the right foot. Growing up (and now in my own house), Thanksgiving is the signal that listening to Christmas music all the time is ok; the tree can be put up with all its ornaments (in my family we each have our own collection going back to when we were born); and Christmas shopping can really start. I will say that I have only partaken in one Black Friday experience in my life and it wasn't bad. It is probably because I live in Southern California so even though the temperature drops sitting outside of Target at 2am, its not as bad as the folks in the NY area (I don't know if I could do it there. If you have, you are much braver than me.) Thanksgiving is a time to set the tone for your holiday season, and what better way to do that than with a great outfit (no matter if its fancy or casual).
The challenge I always face at Thanksgiving is what to wear. Like any other day, I want to look cute and presentable and since it is a holiday, I want to show it the respect it deserves. But a holiday that is centered around food makes it hard to know if your adorable look Thanksgiving morning will still be so cute when it's uncomfortable post-meal. So what is a girl to do? I have included some outfit considerations based on if your family gathering is casual or a more dressy affair. With Dan's family we go from watching football, to eating, to going for a long walk, to playing poker. It's a Marathon Day like it is for many of you, and memorable holidays are only memorable when you are relaxed and feeling good all day long.
Outfit One is great because it gives you the opportunity to feel dressed up while really keeping it casual. The sweater has a great cashmere/wool blend so its really comfortable to wear all day and its three quarter sleeved, so there is no chance of getting gravy on your sleeve cuff. A nice circle skirt is also great because they don't feel as restricting as pencil skirts, and on a day of food, you don't want to feel restricted. I love the look of an easy layered necklace over a crewneck top, like this one from Margaret Elizabeth, and I think the loafers are a great way keep the look comfortable and easy.
Outfit two is tied with outfit four for my favorite of the bunch. There is something so Kate Middleton about this Ted Baker dress and the forest green color is a great staple for both the current trends and the fall season in general. This is a piece you could wear for Thanksgiving year after year. I love the idea of this dress paired with this adorable Kate Spade pearl necklace with bows (it's traditional and fun at the same time) and the Kate Spade flats with the gold toe are dressy and relaxed.
Outfit three is great for those of you in colder climates. A great pair of black trousers that you find comfortable in the waistband, are always a good canvas to start with. Paired with a plaid shirt and thin puffy vest, the look is versatile for many family situations. I could see myself wearing this to Thanksgiving at my aunt and uncle's house in Scarsdale or up at my parent's cabin in Upstate NY. If I was going to my cousins' house I would go with the black suede booties and delicate Margaret Elizabeth seafoam drops I picked out. At the cabin, I may change my booties for a great pair of moccasins and druzy studs.
Finally outfit four, and what I will most likely be wearing to my own Thanksgiving celebration. I adore my new turtleneck sweater from J.Crew. The Red Chili color in person is just as vibrant as it is online and goes with so much of my closet! Since Dan's family is more casual with Thanksgiving and we do a lot of walks, I am planning on pairing my sweater with my boyfriend jeans cuffed up (or if its chilly my straight leg jeans). To top it off, I am obsessed with these Kate Spade heels. They are so beautiful and dress up any look (don't worry I will pack my rainbows for the walk). With shoes like these and a great turtleneck sweater, all I need to complete the look are a great pair of graphic studs, like these from C.Wonder.
Happy Almost Thanksgiving!
Thursday, November 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
No comments :
Post a Comment