Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Tad Lost

I have to admit I am a little lost these last few days. On Monday night I found out that my good friend Rich passed away while lobster diving off the coast of Southern California on Saturday. Very little is known about what happened other than that he did not resurface and was found on Sunday after two days of searching off and on due to swells.

Rich was an amazing man and a fellow divemaster. We worked together at our friend, Brett's, dive company and spent countless weekends at Catalina Island diving together and helping new divers get acclimated to breathing underwater. He was so full of life and his positivity and laughter were infectious. Rich was a great diver in fantastic shape, which is why his death is so shocking.

I have to admit I am shaken and lost after losing Rich. I looked up to him as a diver and divemaster and if a man with this much skill can be taken by the ocean, it frightens me a bit. I have always been a confident diver and I know I will find myself back in the ocean because I love it so much, but I can't say that I won't be a little on edge my first few dives back.

I had been waiting to get the all clear from my doctor to return to diving. I have been out 6 months and now I cannot believe I will never dive with my friend again. It seem cruel and unfair to rob the world of such a vibrant and kind man.

Rich you will forever be missed. I will not dive again without you in my head and heart.
Dan, Me, Rich, Amy and Kelly heading back from the Island.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...