Friday, November 22, 2013

Learning How to Knit

Over this past year I have undertaken a new hobby, knitting. I watched my grandmother knit for years. She makes the most adorable baby sweaters and beanies for all the newborn babies to family and friends. I also wanted another hobby that was relaxing and that I could do anywhere (long drives, watching TV or resting in bed). Now I know this penchant for knitting has resulted in me being called an old lady by my husband as well as strange looks from most Californians (knitting is not really popular here in Southland), but I just love it. It is peaceful and relaxing and allows me the opportunity to make some really heartfelt gifts. It also gives me a great opportunity to get away from technology for a while.

Right now I am working on a baby blanket for my friends' baby who is due in the next few months, as well as a number of gifts for this holiday. I definitely started out slow, working on scarves to start, but now have moved into hats and fancy patterns! In fact I finished a knit cap with a pom pom when we were babysitting our nephews and both immediately requested their own!
Dan and his hat.
As I have gotten more comfortable with knitting I also ventured into fancier materials. I had been keeping my yarn purchases exclusively to JoAnn's but recently ventured into this amazing yarn shop called Twist Yarns of Intrigue in Manhattan Beach and fell in love. All the yarns are hand-dyed and the owner is just the kindest and most helpful person ever!

The yarns of Twists of Intrigue
In addition, I recently joined Raverly.com, a great website that allows me to search for patterns by skill level, type and cost. A lot are even free! I got this tip from a really nice woman who I flew next to coming back from Baltimore a few weeks back. She is a native Angeleno who also knits and we struck up a conversation after I pulled out my knitting on the flight. The best news from the TSA is that you can bring your knitting on board. Flights are a great time to knock out a bunch of work. Another great option is the Lion Brand Yarn App, that my cousin Kristen suggested. It allows you to search by yarn gauge or type, difficulty level and type and all the patterns are free of cost.

Are any of you crafty? What do you do to let out your non-technological creativity!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...