Monday, November 25, 2013

Coats for SoCal Winters

I love living in Southern California, but after five years I am definitely noticing my blood has thinned out quite a bit from when I used to live in NYC and Boston. When I first moved here I barely wore any sort of outerwear during the winter months because I was still positive that 40's and 50's were just sweatshirt weather. Now I am finding low 60's to be fall jacket weather and the 40's and 50's needing of a light winter coat. I try to look for pieces that are lightweight wools but that can transition to NY temperatures with just another layer since we go back to NY every Christmas.

Now I should come clean that I am an outerwear lover even though it's not as necessary anymore. I have tons of beautiful coats that I used to wear throughout NYC and Boston winters since your coat was often the only part of an outfit anyone ever saw. I still like to layer with coats these days but I have to remind myself to grab one because so much of the year I never wear anything heavier than a light blazer or sweater.

What I'm Loving.. Perfect SoCal Weather Outerwear

1 Banana Republic Bow Belt Jacket ($198) // I am obsessed with this jacket. It looks so amazing on and the color is perfect for the winter months. Creamy and elegant. It is also a nice lightweight so I can easily transition this from Cali Winter to NY Winter with just a sweater layered. Only XS-M is still available online but check with your store. They can check other stores stock and have it shipped directly from store! I picked this nugget up during their 40% off all outerwear sale and I am thrilled with it! 
2 J.Crew Factory Belted Cashmere Wool  Blend Coat ($114 - Similar) // This coat comes in and out of availability online, so be sure to check back if its something you are interested in. The color in person is much more vibrant then online. I personally think this coat actually looks best open (you can remove the belt) and also comes in camel which is still available currently.
3 J.Crew Downtown Field Jacket ($148) // Still available in petite and tall sizes. It also comes in Navy. I love this jacket (I have it in  both colors) and it is perfect for wearing to the office and then throwing over my workout gear after the gym. It transitions all types of outfits and is just perfect. It is more ideal for fall and warmer winter days. Cannot get enough of it.
4 Banana Republic Cobalt Wool Coat ($225) // This color is beautiful. It actually reminds me of a Zara coat my sister owns from a few seasons ago. I also love the length. Perfect for running around town while remaining quite ladylike!  
5 J.Crew Colorblock Funnelneck Coat ($398) // This is a gorgeous coat and one that I would be less likely to purchase in Cali since it is hard to justify spending $300-$400 dollars on a coat you only wear 2-3 months of the year unlike most of the country. It is a great deal right now though with 25% off through November 24th! If you were waiting to pull the trigger now is the time!
6 Old Navy Cropped Pea Coat in Sea Salt ($35 On Sale!) // Love this in white for winter. It is really fresh and crisp and won't put any sort of dent in your wallet at this sale price! Also since you only wear this coat sparingly in Southern California, it will not show wear and tear for a while and can be a good deal for a few seasons!
7 Zara Checked Studio Jacket ($179) // I really like the fullness of this jacket. It is plaid which is one of my favorite prints during the holidays and has some nice detailing around the edging of the jacket. I really find Zara jackets a nice purchase that is on trend and looks great.
Zara Sheepskin Double Breasted Jacket ($119) // Love the tweed jacket with the sheepskin neck in a moto design. I feel like I would look cool and be warm all at the same time!
9 Gant Classic Quilted Vest ($250) // I really like this quilted vest from Gant because of all the feminine details like a nipped in waist. I could not bring myself to spend $250 on a vest though living out here and would gravitate more towards the J.Crew or Banana styles that are also not very puffy and more feminine looking. Still this is a classic style that looks great and a vest is a great option for the weather out here over a full jacket.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...