Sunday, June 29, 2014

Carry On or Die!

My family has always been a huge proponent of carrying on. Even when checking bags was free, when we travelled it was all in one suitcase a person. You had to carry what you packed, so carry ons were key. 
My trusty suitcase.
Even with a three week vacation ahead of me, I knew it was necessary to pack in a carry on and purse. Luckily I have gotten pretty good at this. Still here are my favorite tips and tricks for maximizing space in your carry on.
All my clothes for the trip.
1. Put out everything you want to take and then edit edit edit! It is always easier to edit than to try to do it one piece at a time. This way there is no possibility of forgetting something.

2. Choose a color pallet and stick to it. It will be easier to mix and match pieces on vacation that way and you will need less stuff. I went with red, white and blue (with a few pink accents) for this trip since there will be a lot of cheering on of the US and France during the World Cup.

3. Use dead space to stuff small items. Stuff socks, belts and underwear in shoes. Let scarves fill crevices, put cards in small nooks and crannies.

4. Pack anything you want accessible on your flight in your purse or small bag. I keep my chargers along with my headphones and electronics in my purse/tote along with my wallet and passport. You don't want to be that person digging around for a cord in your zipped luggage during the flight. Rude.

5. Use space saving travel bottles for toiletries. I bought a perfume atomizer that is the smaller than a tube of lipstick so I don't have to waste money on bottles less than 3oz or take up unnecessary space. I also have a reusable toothpaste container so I can always have my favorite kind on the road.

6. With that, pack light on the makeup and hair stuff. It's vacation you don't need to be dolled up constantly. Enjoy the sun and just take the essentials. I have a travel tinted moisturizer, creme blush that doubles as lipstick, one lipstick, one lip gloss, one eyeshadow duo, my navy eyeliner pencil and my mascara. That's it.

7. Valuables should always stay in your carry on. On long trips I like to wear one neutral necklace the whole trip and then vary my look with a number of earrings. They take almost no space but are a great option.

8. Wear your bulkiest outfit on the flight (as long as its comfy). I like to rock a maxi dress and scarf on the flight because it keeps me warm and comfy at the same time and maxis take up a lot of room in your bag.

9. Check that your bag will close continuously as you pack. It will save you a headache of having to remove stuff once you are done. 

10. If really tight on space, roll your clothes. If you need even more space, travel space bags are a great investment.

11. Pack a small bag to bring back souvenirs if you run out of space. Packing coming back is always harder than going. Luckily international flights still offer the first checked bag free.

What are your go to tips for packing light?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...