Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Ski Trip Tips & Tricks

Ski Tips & Tricks


We are hitting the slopes of Aspen this week and with any good ski trip, being prepared is key. Skiing is a great sport but it comes with its own risks that it pays to be prepared for. I am so bummed out that I don't get to ski this year but the risk of hurting our little lady is just not worth it.

I have been skiing since I was about three years old and since that time have helped a lot of my friends learn to ski. I also have seen what happens when you try to progress too quickly. Here are some of my favorite tips for beginning skiers.

1. Don't ski above your level. Don't just go up to the top. It's not only about your safety here but about those around you. An inexperienced skier going to the top of the mountain puts everyone ahead of them on the trail at risk. So many skiing accidents come out of inexperienced skiers taking out other skiers on their trail of destruction down the mountain. Be respectful of those around you and only ski on trails you are capable of.

2. Always wear a helmet. Helmets not only protect you from hitting your head on minor falls, but protect you and your head from accidents and collisions with other skiers. Almost everyone wears them now, but it wasn't so common when I was a kid. You can even rent helmets when renting skis if you don't have your own gear.

3. Ski only at speed you can control yourself. Don't ski to quickly. Learn to make your turns well and control your speed. A good lesson to live by is to only ski at speeds where you are still in control.

4. Learn to stop before leaving the bunny hill. I had a friend who was a decent skier. She had control going down the hill and decent form but could not stop. Like the kid in D2 who couldn't perform a hockey stop, she would yard sale at the end of every trip. Stopping is key skill to be learned on the bunny slope.

5. Wait on the poles. Probably the hardest thing to tell an adult learning how to ski, but poles are more of a hinderance when learning than a help. Our reaction is to rely on them to stop and often they get tangled in your legs when skiing, causing more falls and accidents. Instead, learning to ski without poles teaches you to focus on your balance and shifting your weight to turn rather than try to have the poles do it for you.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...