For the first three quarters, play on the field was pretty lopsided and therefore the game was pretty uneventful which left the commericals and halftime show the opportunity to shine on. Unfortunately, overall I thought the commericals were pretty lame this year. There were a few that stood out to me as being funny, one I am shocked to admit, is the GoDaddy ad with the nerd and supermodel, Bar Refaeli. I usually hate the Go Daddy commercials, but the beauty and the geek make out was just so brilliantly simple, I found myself stunned and then laughing really hard afterwards. Finally, a decent Go Daddy ad. Is the world ending? My favorite of the night would have to be Taco Bell's ad Viva Young with the Old Bro's. My husband firmly believes that will be him one day and honestly this one is just too funny. Who doesn't love the eldery getting into crazy antics?
Another shocker for me was the Axe Apollo ad, "Nothing Beats an Astronaut." Well played Axe. I may hate your products, but this media campaign is pretty great. (Note this may also be heightened because I am an Aerospace Engineer and space nerd).
The poignant ads this year were decent but I found often too long. I enjoyed the Clydesdale Budweiser ad (as a nice moment), but starting to get repetitive in my book. And the Dodge RAM Farmer ad had really nice photography, but was long as hell. If you timed it, it cost them well over 4 million for that one ad.
Besides commercials we also had the Pepsi Halftime show, which was OK, but personally could have been much better. While I think Beyonce is a great dancer, she left a lot to be desired. The best part of her show hands down was the Destiny's Child reunion. Every woman in the room in her 20s literally shrieked in excitement when Michelle and Kelly were launched onto the stage. Otherwise the highlights were really the visuals of the show (stage and costumes), the vocals were pretty much nonexistent, which leads me to my next question. Do you think Beyonce made a point of sucking at the start of the show so we all knew she wasn't lip syncing this time? My last issue with the show was that there was no grand finale. Ending with Halo? Really? I was hoping for some great "Who Runs the World" performance with a great blackout at the end. It wasn't until midway through the third quarter that we got the blackout we were expecting.
So let's talk about that blackout and what serendipitous timing it was for the 49ers. Anyone feel like the 49ers bench was over their jumping up and down like, "Yes! We know what to do now. We've practiced this blackout thing before." Power went out during a night game at Candlestick last year twice during a game against the Saints.
When the power finally came back on 34 minutes had elapsed and we had watched game highlights three times over. The announcers just ran out of things to talk about and it showed. By the time the Ravens got the ball on offense again, over an hour had elapsed. Clearly more than just the kicker was iced in this game. Still, the blackout had one positive effect, the game finally got interesting and the last five minutes were nail biting.
This is going to be remembered as a wacky Superbowl, where the power went out, a team took a safety on purpose, and Beyonce clarified why she lip syncs. What did you think of last night?
No comments :
Post a Comment