Monday, July 28, 2014

#Eurotrip - France Recap

The perfect panorama of the French countryside.
It's officially time for the #Eurotrip recap. I have a number of posts planned to recap the different aspects of our trip. We hit multiple countries over 3 weeks: France, Holland, Belgium and Scotland (with a flight in and out of Switzerland) and I want to give each country its justice. I am going to start with a 2 part recap on France, followed by a 2 part recap for Holland, then a 2 part recap on Belgium and a final 3 part recap on Scotland.

Dan ran out every morning to pick up bread and croissants. A man and his flute.
We joined my parents and sister in France after a very frustrating flight out that took an extra 24 hours due to some poor timing by United, but after an unexpected 24 hour stop off in DC, we finally made it to Geneva. My dad was super sweet and came back to pick us up from the Airport since my grandmother's apartment is only a few hour drive from the airport.

We returned to our favorite town, Charolles, where my grandfather was born and raised and where my grandmother has had an apartment for years. While its only a one bedroom, the place is big and has a pull out couch and aerobed for the living room, where Dominique, Dan and I slept.
The view of the church plaza from our balcony.
We had 4 full days in town to see friends and family and experience small town life. One afternoon we drove to the Swiss-French border to see our family friends Nenesse and Elsie (who are like surrogate grandparents to my sister and I). Another day we had lunch at the cafe that was once owned by my great-grandparents and where my grandfather was born.
Nenesse and I. Always my buddy since I was a little kid.
We also traveled to some famous local sites and found a vineyard that shared the same family name as my great-grandmother. Another day we went to the town market, had drinks with great friends and and a 5-star dinner at the local hotel and restaurant, Doucet. In between we visited with family and friends and relaxed on the terrace overlooking the church plaza drinking wine and eating cheese.
A local chateau and private residence!
Chateau de Cormatin
Cluny Abbey
Drinks and snacks with the Boti. Helene and Laurant showed off their beautiful farm house that they are converting.
The Cheese Chariot at Doucet. To die for!
Dominique, Dan and I at Doucet
Finally, after four wonderful days in central France, we all piled in the car and headed north for Holland and Belgium. Along the way we made an impromptu stop in Metz to see the Cathedral, which was by far one of the most impressive churches I have ever seen in my life. The tallest I've ever been in by far.
The Cathedral in Metz

The impressive interior of the Cathedral.
To truly experience France you need to see more than just Paris or the French Riviera. France is the small towns across the countryside, the weekly markets, the church steeples on the horizon. Tune in tomorrow for my Top 10 Travel Tips for France.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...