Friday, September 20, 2013

Falling in Love with Fall Polishes & Half Moon Manicures

Today it finally felt like fall in LA. After wrapping up work from home this morning (Have I said how amazing flexible work schedules are?), I headed off to my new favorite nail salon, Dipped Nails, for a signature mani-pedi. Dipped is a great little place that really takes care of you and does a great job on your nails, they even do nail art if you want which is rare to find, even with every magazine printing all these super cool mani-pedis these days.

I am mediocre at doing my nails at best. I am good with my right hand but using my left hand is a serious struggle and honestly just getting a single color done is an accomplishment. My biggest nail design I've attempted on my own is to paint my ring finger nail a complimentary color to the other four. Other than that, I'm a lost cause. Maybe I could do polka dots, but a chevron stripe or french manicure? Please.

So today I decided to go for it and got a reverse half moon mani. I have been absolutely in love with this nail style since I first saw it on Pinterest and finally decided to take the plunge today. I also decided that since today was pretty overcast, I would go for fall colors and welcome in the season.
My New Half Moon Manicure!
I try to always bring my own polishes with me to the shop, 1. because I like to be able to do touch ups at home if I need to and 2. because I don't always find a color I like at the salon. I was able to come home with a perfect mani with Essie Chinchilly as the base coat and OPI Siberian Nights as the half moon color.

Fall Mani-Pedi



I am thinking I may be brave and try it again on my own next time because I am so happy with the result and I have found this great tutorial from Lauren Conrad below that I just may try. In her tutorial the base coat becomes your half moon color and your top coat, your nail color. If you let the salon do the look, they will usually hand paint on the half moons for you, like Juliet did for me today.
How To Get A Half Moon Manicure
Photo Courtesy: TheBeautyDepartment.Com

So what colors are inspiring you this fall for your nails. Here are just a few of my favorites.

The Perfect Fall Polishes


2 comments :

  1. Thanks for this Liz. Shania and I are going to try it, I will let you know how it goes. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! Let me know how it goes! Glad you liked the post.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...