Have I said how awesome my dad is? Actually I am pretty sure I have here, but in case you missed it before, my dad is awesome. We started a tradition years ago of going to every single major league baseball stadium together and we have been making our way through the list. Citi Field though opened since I moved away from New York, and since we are not Mets fans, there never seems to be a reason to go when we are home, when I could go to a Yankees game instead. So when it was announced that the All Star Game was going to be held at Citi Field in 2013, my dad decided, what the hell?, I'll enter the lottery.
Well as luck would have it, he got selected from the lottery and he snatched up three seats to All Star Week for himself, my sister and I. This is mostly what prompted my week trip home. The JT/JayZ Concert being at Yankee Stadium the same week was a definite bonus though.
I flew into New York on Sunday night and arrived early Monday morning ready for the Home Run Derby. Since I was not home Sunday for Workout Day, my mom took my ticket. Let it be known that my mother is not a big baseball fan. She is usually the woman doing Sudoku puzzles at her seat, but apparently enjoyed Workout Day thoroughly.
| My first visit to Citi Field for All Star Week! |
The Homerun Derby was a blast. We got there early to enjoy the pregame festivities and a few brews. I was a super happy camper to discover that Citi Field had Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy in a can! It is my favorite summer brew and I happily ordered them all game.
| My dad and sister enjoying their brews. |
| Me and my sister getting ready for the fun to start. |
The Homerun Derby was captained this year by Robinson Cano for the AL and David Wright for the NL. The AL group also included Prince Fielder from Detroit, Chris Davis from Baltimore, and Yoenis Cespedes from Oakland. The NL field included Pedro Alvarez from Pittsburgh, Michael Cuddyer from Colorado and Bryce Harper from Washington.
It was probably the most spectacular sunset I've ever witnessed at a ballgame. The backdrop was amazing. I think this shot is my favorite of the week.
Both captains and NY reps were ousted in the first round along with Alvarez and Fielder. Leaving Davis, Cuddyer, Harper and Cespedes. Cespedes and Harper, the two young studs, outlasted everyone though for a final showdown.
In the end though, Cespdes prevailed with 32 overall shots. He knocked 23 in the first two rounds but just edged out Harper in the final round 9-8 to take the 2013 crown.
The only wrinkle in the day you may ask? Well there had been a track fire on the 7 train during the Homerun Derby which meant we had the pleasure of walking 2 miles under the seven train to the first open station since Citi Field and then wait til about midnight for the first train to arrive. It was a late night for everyone involved!
No comments :
Post a Comment