Conference season is coming up and with that comes lots of career fairs and potential interviews with new employers. In the engineering industry we start hiring college grads in the fall for May graduates. I remember going to SWE (Society of Women Engineers) National Conference back during my senior year and I had over 10 interviews to attend. It was imperative that I was dressed to the nines in each and that I looked as put together at my last interview as I did at my first.
Here are my tips for interviewing:
1. Be professional.
It is always better to over dress than under dress. Go with more natural makeup that highlights your best features without being too aggressive. Add a bold lip with simple eyeshadow and blush to stand out professionally. Keep your hair simple. Go with a bun, a pony, half up or just down, whichever makes you most comfortable. Make sure your nail polish is chip free or go without all together. Keep your jewelry tasteful and minimal.
2. Dress for the culture.
For more conservative environments a suit is still always the best. Stay dark in color and add some personality with your top. That is the place you can safely add color. For a more creative environment go with separates.
3. Wear flats and carry your heels in your bag.
Heels are always a good choice, but no need to kill your feet walking to your interview. Keep them in your bag and run around town in flats so that your feet are fresh for your meeting.
4. Don't wear heels if you cannot walk in them.
If you cannot walk normally in heels, don't try for an interview. Instead opt for a pair of d'orsay flats. The pointed toe flat is a great option to lengthen your legs like heels while remaining comfortable. Wearing heels that are too tall or painful shows on your face and can affect the interview.
5. Have a copy or two of your resume.
Always good to have spare copies in case an interviewer asks for a fresh copy. There are also times you may interview with multiple people and some may not have your resume on hand. Keep the interview flowing seamlessly by being ready for a request.
6. Prepare questions in advance & take notes.
I always have a note pad in my portfolio where I jot down questions before an interview and take notes. I like to make sure I ask questions about work life balance, company culture, employee resources, vacation time, upward mobility, health care and more. When a company is interviewing you, you are also interviewing them to see if it would be a good fit. Come prepared and take notes so you can differentiate between them later on.
7. Do some research.
Have some basic knowledge about the company you are interviewing in advance beyond what their industry is. If you can ask questions thoughtfully, you will impress your interviewer.
8. Relax.
Be yourself. Don't get uptight.
No comments :
Post a Comment