Last night Yankee Stadium said goodbye to the Captain, the face of baseball, Derek Jeter. Wearing my Jeter t-shirt from 1998 (from when I was 12) I cried my eyes out. Don Mattingly, the Captain before Jeter, is my favorite player ever, but the only other player to come close was Derek Jeter. Jeter has been in the game since I was 9 years old. My favorite Yankee t-shirt is a Jeter jersey tee that is 16 years old (thank goodness my dad bought it big back then so I can still rock it, even with some tiny holes). Jeter has been in uniform for most of my life, I barely remember the team before him.
 |
| Ready for some baseball! |
I was so lucky to be able to fly home for his final homestand and I am so glad I did. I was able to go with my sister on Tuesday night and my dad both Wednesday afternoon and Thursday night.
 |
| Dad and I before the game yesterday. |
Growing up in New York City, I have always been a die hard Yankee fan. I was born the day before Opening Day and my dad watched Opening Day that year with me in his arms. I even used to intern with the Yankees Front Office back in High School and College (leaving that gig for Engineering was one of the hardest decisions I ever made).
 |
| My great friend and fellow former Yankees intern Jess was at the game too! |
Derek Jeter is a class act from start to finish. I have had the honor of meeting him a few times, as well as his family, and it is not hard to understand why his fans love him. He's generous, kind, well spoken, passionate and loyal, all the things you want in a friend. He's stood up to the rigors of playing in NY and dealing with the press like few players can.
He is one in a million and the sport is indebted to him forever. He gave MLB a face to represent everything good and clean about the game. He thrived as a role model for the community. He started foundations and made them family run affairs. There is no one else quite like him in the game.
Derek's career is one of a storybook that could only end with him getting a walk off hit at his final game at shortstop. I also find it so classy that he not only thanked the fans after the game but also applauded the Orioles for their season. I've never seen him so flustered in an interview in his 20 years but it was so endearing to watch. I love when he told the reporters that he does have emotions, he just has a good poker face!
 |
| His final at bat. |
 |
| A hit to right field for the win! |
I cried a few times last night, I am not ashamed of it. Derek Jeter molded my hitting stance including the hand to the ump for time until I was set. He was my idol. I can't even imagine how sad I will be next Opening Day when Derek Jeter is not in the lineup, but I know he won't be to far away. He'll find a way back into baseball, just in a new role.
 |
| Saluting the fans. |
And because there is nothing better than Legos and Derek Jeter, here are his top 10 moments recreated with legos! I even got my own Jeter Lego figurine.
Love this so much! And so incredibly jealous you were able to see his last home games!!! I made the trip to Chicago over Memorial Day weekend to see him play the White Sox ~ wish I could have seen him play at Yankee Stadium this summer one last time...
ReplyDelete~ Kim Pincombe Cole
He's the best. It was a great week but I already know I am going to be really sad again come opening day when he is not at short.
Delete