Tuesday, September 2, 2014

What's On My Kindle? - August Edition

What's Been on my Kindle? - August 2014

What's On My Kindle?


The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
Yes, yes, we all know the book is actually written by J.K. Rowling, using a pen name of Robert Galbraith. Let's just accept that and move past to the review. The Cuckoo's Calling recounts the case that got private dectivite, Cormoran Strike, back on his feet and into the headlines. Assited by the lovely Robin, a temp who had a secret childhood passion of becoming a PI, this Batman and Robin duo were on the case of the lovely model who mysteriously jumped from her luxury apartment one cold winter night. With a number of characters in the book potential suspects, you may be guessing until the end.
3.5 snaps for me. I'll be giving The Silkworm a go since I really liked the main character.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
I cannot tell a lie. I am a huge YA fan. Young Adult novels are super fast reads and my guilty pleasure for sure. I like that they can take as little as a few hours to read and I'm a sucker for teenage love, who isn't? If I Stay is defintely a darker topic for YA. Mia loses her entire family in a car crash and the story is told from her voice having an out of body perspective while in the ICU. I loved the messages that the ones we love know we are there even in comas and that sometimes we make the choice to stay or move on. It was comforting to me since I just sat and held the hand of my grandfather after he had slipped into a coma before he passed. I had made it just in time from college and was able to hold his hand and say goodbye before he passed on just an hour or two later. It left me with the feeling that he knew we were there and it was ok if he wanted to go. I thought it was a great story and very well written.
5 snaps for me!

The Lost Princess of Oz by L. Frank Baum
The Lost Princess of Oz returns us to an Oz focused story. Ozma, the ruler of Oz, has gone missing. Some of your favorite characters are back on the search for Ozma. Essentially all the characters fromt he first 9 books are back in action, including Dorothy, Toto, the Cowardly Lion, Button Bright, Glinda, the Wizard and more. A tour that takes the reader all over Winkie country. I love the way Baum was able to bring back all the characters for a mystery and rescue mission for the ages in Oz!
3.5 snaps for me!

Rinkitnk in Oz by L. Frank Baum
The 10 book of Oz, Rinkitink of OZ has very little to do with Oz actually. In fact only one chapter spends anytime in Oz at all. Instead it is about another fairy land across the desert and a grouping of islands that found themselves at war. The hero of this story is Inga, a young prince of Pingaree, who after his parents are captured by a rival King and Queen, uses magic and bravery to go after them and save his parents and his people. Armed with three magic pearls, Inga faces many dangers in an effort to save his family. Along to aid him are his friends King Rinkitnk and a talking goat, Bibil. The story is mostly set in new lands and only a few Oz favorites make reapperances at the end of the tale. This actually might be my favorite of the Oz books after the original.
4 snaps for me!

Where She Went by Gayle Forman
The followup to If I Stay, Where She Went is the aftermath of what happens to Mia and if she choose to stay or move on. It also is the aftermath of those that loved her, especially her high school boyfriend Adam and his band Shooting Star. This is really Adam's book and how he deals with the fallout of Mia's crash and if she ever woke up. I really enjoyed the new perspective in this book and read it on a single flight.
4 snaps for me!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...