Saturday, May 17, 2014

What I Learned As The Interviewer


As graduation looms upon many and it is time for interviews for first jobs I wanted to share what I have learned as the interviewer. I've been working as a recruiter over the last 5 years at SWE National Conference for my company and have to say it has been an eye opening experience. There are so many things I wished I knew going into the interview process and I figured I would share them with you all.

1. First impressions matter. I know many of us hope and are told for years that they don't it's what's on the inside that counts, but we make decisions about each other in the first few seconds of meeting one another. If your appearance does not reflect competence and professionalism, it is hard to make a lasting impression in an interview. Don't make it harder for yourself by having to compensate for a sloppy first impression. This includes good hygiene practices.

2. Dress for the job you are interviewing for. If it is a more conservative office, show your personality with a colorful but tasteful top. If you are interviewing for a more creative position, let yourself branch out. 

3. Wear comfortable shoes. A lot of times you are walking around with your interviewer and it is very noticeable if you cannot walk in your shoes. Don't wear high heels if you can't walk in them!

4. Prepare. Research the company you are interviewing with and come with questions. Show genuine interest in the company. If you are equally qualified as another candidate but show that you are not very interested, you will most likely lose out to your competition. Ask about the culture and work life balance not just what your salary will be. Ask about a typical day, travel, incentives, vacation and sick time, job flexibility, upward mobility, education assistance programs, employee resource groups, health care, etc. All this makes for a well rounded company. 

5. Just because your internships have not related to the field you are applying doesn't mean they are not applicable work experience. You may have gained leadership experience or knowledge about operating systems etc. Think critically about all your experiences including teaching assistant positions on campus. They all help develop skills. Know how to speak positively about your past work.

6. Apply to multiple positions at companies of interest. Many companies use online application systems and have dozens of hiring managers if not more. The likelihood of the same hiring manager seeing your application for multiple positions is rare at large companies. Help your odds by applying to anything of interest.

7. You don't need to know it all. You will most likely be trained on the job for any new position. What most companies are interested in is how you will fit into the company culture. We ask about your behaviors and how you would handle situations. We want to know you will be a good personality fit with your coworkers. Show ambition and drive.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...