Thursday, May 1, 2014

What's On My Kindle? - April Edition

What's Been on my Kindle? - April 2014

What's On My Kindle?


Beautiful Ruins
by Jess Walter
So I knew that this book was on everyone's radar, listed as a NYT best seller, but I have to be honest. I was not blown away by this book. I found the story very nice but predictable. I also found the storytelling a bit rambling. While the book introduced us to a number of characters through different narrators, I found the overall story very disjointed as a result. The jumping timeline and character narrators did little to enhance the story or create any surprise plots. The story was still nice but not what I expected after hearing so much hype. Honestly, just 2.5 snaps for me.

The Dinner by Herman Koch
The Dinner is told over a number of courses at a fancy restaurant in Holland between two brothers and their wives. One brother is a politician running for Prime Minster, the other finds himself taking a backseat to his brother Serge throughout their adult life. Over the course of the dinner you learn more about each gentleman's story, family and background. It of course takes to the digestive at the end of the meal to find out what it was all for. I really enjoyed the storytelling of this book as parts of the dinner sparked storytelling from their pasts, and how what was going on in both families lives spilled into this dinner. A really great read and a fast one at that. 4 snaps for me!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...