Monday, January 7, 2013

I know I'm late to the Knitting Game

So I know a lot of people have already found out how awesome knitting is, but I was always afraid of it. I am such a math and science brain that I find I sometimes shy away from more creative hobbies like knitting for things like video games and sports.

Still, as I grew up I watched my grandmother knit some beautiful pieces and later my cousin take up the skill. Then over Christmas, my grandma was over for Christmas Dinner and she brought her knitting with her. While we were sitting on the couch, she worked on a new baby sweater. She keeps a stockpile of them and gives them to family and friends that have new babies. Watching her, I got excited about trying to learn to knit again.
Nick Park's Shaun the Sheep
Knitting has been a bucket list item of mine for about 5 years, so this past weekend I drove to JoAnn's near my house to check out knitting supplies. It was a nice bonus that all yarn was 25% off this weekend and How To Guides were 40% off. I was able to pick up some really nice yarn and two sets of knitting needles (large and small), along with a great intro guide for $2!

I spent all Saturday afternoon and Sunday evening knitting away. I decided my hubby would be the first recipient of my work (I am making him a navy scarf), although I realize this is going to turn into quite a project as one ball of yarn is not enough! I just ordered more so I can finish ;)

I am sure he will be able to benefit from nicer quality pieces in the future but I am really excited for this one! I also found it was the perfect activity while watching Downton Abbey last night and I am looking forward to all the future projects I can learn.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...