Friday, January 4, 2013

The Standard Resolution - Lose the Weight

I know I am not alone when I say that one of my New Year's Resolutions is to lose some weight. Unfortunately, I don't really think I can call this a New Year's Resolution since it is something I have been tackling for over the last year, since I finished rehabbing my ankle after a softball injury.

About 2 years ago, I tore all the ligaments, minus my Achilles tendon, in my right ankle sliding into third base in a company softball game and spent the next year rehabbing it. In that time I gained around 50lbs.

I have always been an athletic and curvy girl, but dealing with my new body was a challenge that I am glad I faced. While it may not have been ideal to go through a wedding while trying to get back to my ideal weight, having the support of such a great guy who loves me for me, gave me all the confidence in the world. I lost 20lbs leading up to our wedding and felt great. No, it is not the total 50lbs I gained, but I had a choice to make during the year leading up to my wedding. I could kill myself everyday for a year for those 50lbs and still risk not making it, or I could do my best and still enjoy all the great things that happened that year: bridal showers, vacations, date nights, cake tastings, bachelorette parties, etc. Well I choose to enjoy my year while working towards my goal, and I don't think I would ever trade it in. I loved my body on my wedding day and Dan still tells me how beautiful I was that day.

I have to say I think I have more body confidence now then I have ever had in my life, and while I am still working back to my ideal weight, I am overall happy with the person I see in the mirror everyday. Of course everyone has their bad days and the little things they dislike, but honestly I like that girl looking back at me.

So as I continue my resolution from a year ago to continue to lose those last 30lbs, I am still remembering to enjoy everyday,  but use the tools available to me. I love Weight Watchers Online and my Nike Fuelband, both keep me motivated and are always with me on my iPhone. My other big motivator is going to the gym everyday with my friend Heather. Getting a gym buddy is a huge incentive to working out. It is so easy to flake out of going to the gym if you are not being held accountable, but who is going to ditch their friend? I know I'm not!

2 comments :

  1. congrats chica!!! You have so much support from me all the way in NYC. I too am gearing up for a weight loss goal. I recently signed up for a 30 day hot yoga challenge at my studio!! Let's keep each other motivated, love you dahling

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Liz! I love your perspective. I'm working on it too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...